Low Income Public Housing

Low Income Public Housing Waiting List is Currently Open.

If you are already on the Low Income Public Housing Waiting List, you can update your contact information by clicking on the below button, log in to your account and providing the required information.

This federally-funded Program is administered at twelve (12) housing developments operated by the Agency. Rents are based on 30% of the tenant’s monthly net adjusted income or ceiling rents, based on the size of the unit – whichever is less. Families must pay a minimum of $50.00 for rent each month. There is a total of 865 LIPH units in Kern County.  

For more information, check the following buttons:

The Housing Authority of the County of Kern is pleased to announce the new Applicant Portal
Follow these steps to complete an online application:

  1. Go to: www.kernhousing.com
  2. Click Applicant Login (upper right-hand corner)
  3. “Click Here to Register” link at the bottom of the page
  4. Under Create an Account – click “I want to Apply”
  5. Click “I do not have a registration code”
  6. Enter Personal Details
  7. Click Register – Complete all pages
  8. Submit

You will receive an email when your application is received. Once your application is reviewed you will receive a second email stating if the application is approved or rejected.

Kiosk locations for online applications can be found at the following sites:

  • Housing Authority of the County of Kern – 601 24th Street, Bakersfield
  • KCDCSS – Child Support Office – 3701 N. Sillect Ave, Bakersfield
  • Court Building – Room 300 – Court Office 1215 Truxtun, Bakersfield

If there is a change in the size of your family or address change while the application is on the waiting list, report to Applications by logging in using your user credentials at www.kernhousing.com.

Applicants will be contacted by email when their application reaches near the top of the waiting list.

The following items must be brought to the interview for Public Housing Assistance at:
601-24th St., Bakersfield, CA 93301.

You cannot be determined eligible for participation unless you have all of the documents listed above with you. If you have any questions, please call the Housing Authority at 661-631-8500 and ask for the Applications Department ext. 1200.


  1. Birth Certificates, Social Security cards for every person on the application and picture I.D. for all adults on the application.
  2. Name, address and telephone number of your landlords for the past three years.
  3. CURRENT rent receipts for the past six (6) months, if living with someone we will give a rent verification form.
  4. A printout of your utilities from gas and lighting company or from PG&E for the past 12 months.
  5. Verification of income – only what applies to your family:
    1. A printout from Social Security Administration showing the TOTAL amount you will receive PER MONTH.
    2. A printout from the Department of Human Services showing income you received PER MONTHfor the past year.
    3. If receiving Unemployment, please bring the AWARD LETTER showing the amount you will receive PER WEEK from the Employment Development Department.
      If working, we will give you a from to take to your employer to complete.
    4. Verification of income from any other sources must show monthly or weekly amounts received.
    If you have the last 6 months’ statements (for checking or savings) bring these in; if not, we will give you a form to take to the bank and have completed.
  7. Vehicle registration for all vehicles owned and/or that you use.
  8. If you are a veteran, bring in your DD214 or discharge paper