How to Apply
The Section 8 Waiting List is Closed
Low Income Public Housing
The Low Income Public Housing (LIPH) waiting list is open to apply. This federally-funded program is designed for low-income families and individuals. Rents are based on thirty percent (30%) of the tenants’ monthly net adjusted income. Under the LIPH Program families and individuals are placed in developments that are owned and operated by the Housing Authority of the County of Kern.
The Housing Authority of the County of Kern is pleased to announce the new Applicant Portal
Follow these steps to complete an online application:
- Go to: www.kernhousing.com
- Click Applicant Login (upper right-hand corner)
- “Click Here to Register” link at the bottom of the page
- Under Create an Account – click “I want to Apply”
- Click “I do not have a registration code”
- Enter Personal Details
- Click Register – Complete all pages
You will receive an email when your application is received. Once your application is reviewed you will receive a second email stating if the application is approved or rejected.
Kiosk locations for online applications can be found at the following sites:
- Housing Authority of the County of Kern – 601 24th Street, Bakersfield
- KCDCSS – Child Support Office – 3701 N. Sillect Ave, Bakersfield
- Court Building – Room 300 – Court Office 1215 Truxtun, Bakersfield
If there is a change in the size of your family or address change while the application is on the waiting list, report to Applications by logging in using your user credentials at www.kernhousing.com.
Applicants will be contacted by email when their application reaches near the top of the waiting list.