The Rental Assistance Demonstration (RAD) is a program of the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) that seeks to preserve affordable housing.

Public housing across the country needs more than $26 billion in repairs and many public housing agencies (PHAs) do not have enough money to keep units in good condition.

RAD provides PHAs a way to stabilize, repair, or replace properties.

Facts About The RAD Program

What Are The Steps In A RAD Conversion?

A RAD conversion will typically take 6 to 18 months and will require multiple steps in engaging with residents, securing financing, and demonstrating to HUD that the property will be improved and remain in good physical condition.

Applying for RAD by the Public Housing Agency (PHA)

A PHA must first apply to HUD before it can begin a RAD conversion. Before submitting a RAD application to HUD, a PHA must have at least two meetings with residents of properties submitted for a conversion to discuss the proposed conversion plans and solicit feedback. Before the first resident meeting, the PHA must provide a RAD Information Notice (called a RIN) to each resident that explains the residents’ rights, provides basic program information, and facilitates residents’ engagement with the PHA.

What Are The Housing Authority of the County of Kern’s (Authority) Hopes for the RAD Program?

The Authority currently owns and manages 15 Low Income Public Housing developments throughout the County of Kern.  The goal is to convert all 15 to the more stable Housing Choice Voucher/Section 8 platform through RAD.  The Authority is now in the cycle of preparing applications to HUD.  If approved, we will then begin acquiring all necessary financing and when obtained, perform the rehabilitation work.  This will be a multi-year process.

What’s new with RAD at the Housing Authority

Kern County is currently in the process of preparing our application to HUD to be allowed to proceed with all 15 RAD conversions of our public housing developments. Our goal is to submit the first set of applications by the end of October.  We anticipate a response from HUD within 30 to 60 days of application submission if we are approved.

The first set of applications includes Adelante Vista, Valle Vista and Homer Harrison. As part of the application process, we hosted two meetings for the residents of these three developments.  At the meetings, we shared information on the program, fielded questions, and took suggestions for how to best improve the developments if approved. Residents were able to discuss their concerns and share their ideas. As we move further along in the process, we will update the website with new information.



How does RAD affect me as a Public Housing Resident?

Question: Will a RAD conversion affect my rent?

Answer: If your building or development is converted to a Project Based Voucher, your rent contribution will most likely be the same as it was under public housing- generally no more than 30% of your household’s adjusted gross income. Since the project-based Section 8 programs also set resident rents at 30% of adjusted income, most residents will not have rent increases as a result of a RAD conversion.

Question : How can residents be involved in the RAD process?

Answer: Before Agencies can apply to participate in RAD, HUD requires them to notify all residents in a development proposed for RAD conversion about their plans and conduct at least two meetings with those residents. These meetings are an opportunity for you to discuss the proposed conversion plans with your Agency, ask questions, express concerns, and provide comments. The Agency is required to submit your comments and its response to them as part of the RAD application.

Question: Will a RAD conversion affect my housing assistance?

Answer: You will not lose your housing assistance and you will not be rescreened because of a RAD conversion. Even though a RAD property can use private money to make big repairs, it will still receive money from HUD. With this subsidy from HUD, the Agency will manage RAD properties through the Project Based Voucher program. RAD requires that converted properties be owned or controlled by a public or nonprofit entity.

Question: When can an agency start the RAD conversion process?

Answer: After notifying residents as outlined above, Agencies can apply to HUD to convert assistance under RAD.

Question: Can I remain in my home if my building or apartment is being renovated?

Answer: Many apartments and buildings will require fairly extensive renovations. In these cases, you will be temporarily relocated but will have the right to return to your development once construction is completed. Generally, temporary relocation should not last longer than 12 months.

More Information For Public Housing Residents

 This series of facts is intended to help residents of public housing learn about RAD. There are more fact sheets posted on RAD’s website  under the ‘Residents’ tab. If you would like more information on how RAD will be implemented and how it would affect you as a resident, please visit hud.gov/rad.