Housing Authority of the County of Kern

Rent and Utility Assistance Program - (661) 578-5339

 The Housing Authority of the County of Kern is now accepting applications for the Rent and Utility Assistance Program.  If you are a renter and were impacted financially by COVID-19 you may be eligible to receive short-term assistance for rent and/or utility costs.

Help with rent and utilities is now available if you meet the following requirements:

1. At lease one member of you household qualifies for unemployment or has experienced a reduction in household income, incurred significant costs, or experienced a financial hardship due to COVID-19. 

2. Demonstrate a risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability; and

3. Have a household income at or below 80 percent of the area median; and

4. Are a renter in the City of Bakersfield or Kern County

How to Apply

Apply online (fastest method) now by clicking on the below link, by email, or in person (with an appointment). Only submit one application, as duplicates can cause a delay in services. 


Chrome is the preferred browser when applying online: 

If you live in the Bakersfield City Limits click here to apply.
If you live in the Kern County area click here to apply. 


Apply by email:

Download application, fully complete, and email with with required documents to RUP@kernha.org. Should you have any questions about your application, or if you need assistance completing this form, contact us at: 661-578-5339.

You can also mail application to:

Attn: Rent and Utility Assistance Program
Housing Authority of the County of Kern
601 24th Street
Bakersfield, CA 93301

Download application below:

Tenant Application - English

Tenant Application Spanish

Landlords if your tenants are not able to pay rent because they were impacted by COVID-19 you can also apply for assistance by applying online and/or completing the below application.

Landlord Application - English

Landlord Application- Spanish